Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Fluctuating Google Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, 

My site has been hit hard by Google updates several different times the past three years.  My traffic from Google would drop unexpectedly (11,000 to 4,500 sessions or less in one day some times) then recover a couple weeks later only for it to happen again.  The significant drops were 9/4/13 (increased back up 11/5/13), down 1/9/14 (back up 2/14/14), down 2/22/14 (up 4/5/14), down 4/19/14 (up 5/23/14), down 6/6/14 (up 9/17/14), and down 10/25/14 where it has slowly trailed downwards since.  I've looked into Google algorithm updates but haven't been able to find any smoking gun(s).  Has anyone else experienced this type of traffic behavior from Google or would have any insight into what's causing this?  

Thanks, I appreciate your time. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Fluctuating Google Traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Have there been major changes in your own website technical structure or in your competitors? I've seen similar behavior (though not corresponding with your dates) caused by multiple triggers - a major blackhat PBN getting taken down by Google, major change in backlinks, new site launches, a competitor getting mobile-friendly, a heavily-shared and popular image in image search getting demoted. Any number of reasons. What is your domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply, Philip. Those are interesting suggestions. I've looked at Penguin 3.0 quite a bit for the October 2014 drop but that doesn't seem likely for my site. You can view my site here: http://bit.ly/28QkUNK

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Using a few third-party tools, I can see quite dramatic changes in your backlink profile over the past 24 months. This includes some questionable backlinks - you may want to review these yourself and consider disavowing the questionable ones :-)

One thought - are you using different analytics profile for your apps? Mixing them together can really through off analysis (PS I am loading your app now!).

I think a lot of the changes you are seeing are unique to your property's overall rankings as Google continuously evaluates your site and your backlinks - I would review Google's search quality ratings guidelines (https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2015/11/updating-our-search-quality-rating.html) and adjust your site structure accordingly (like the banner ad at the top of the page).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK. thanks for the feedback. I will have to look into those backlinks. Thanks for the analytics tip, I'll check with my colleague who has been managing our apps. Let me know what you think of our app by the way, any good or bad feedback is much appreciated!