Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

First Visit to Site Has No Referrer Data From Chrome Users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Every first visit to my site has no referrer data (IE /FF retains the referral, but Chrome doesn't). This is true only for first time visitors, after first visit the referral is showing as expected. The collection script looks very different on these browsers, varying in length and missing the "dr=" operator in Chrome (this operator carries the referral).  Checked with multiple Chrome version with all extensions disabled, deleted cookies/ history with/without incognito mode and used many referring sources including organic search.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Goozman,

I have to ask the question:  Should there be referral data? 

That is if http referrer is empty, then there will be no data.  You can type in window.document.referrer in the dev console to check.

Hope that helps...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hey Goozman,

My mistake; I see that you tested other sources.  I cannot replicate with Chrome.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your answer. The site is blocked is some countries so not sure if you can see for yourself (it's a client site, not mine: sundor.co.il). Forgot to mention that using UTM params overrides the issue, but obviously cannot use them for many of the referring sources.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hey Goozman,

Just went to Google, found the site in organic, went to the site, document.referrer shows as www.google.com so you should see this visit as google organic. 

There are a few possibilities, source could be changed via GTM, perhaps a lookup table? Redirects or something else that ends the session prematurely.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theo, thanks for your reply.

Nothing fancy in GTM except a very very basic cross domain tracking setting (that does affect a landing page) and there are no redirects (like i said, this is for Chrome 1st time visitors only). 

You can try a more specific search term that leads to a pretty obscure page (טיסות לזנזיבר סאן דור), homepage is more likely to carry the referrer info. 

Thanks again.