Analytics
3.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Finding User Count For Selection Of Pages

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am trying to get a user count for a selection of pages. I've tried creating a segment that says "starts with: /news/," but the pageviews and unique pageviews are different than when I go into All Pages to filter only the "/news/" pages that start with that. Any idea what I should do to get the count of users to those pages? Thanks for your help!!!

Re: Finding User Count For Selection Of Pages

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Scott,

if you just want the user count then the segment that you created is working correctly.

Page views are different as the segment is sessions based which means that the segment lists all users, sessions and pageviews for those sessions where a user has visited /news/.

So in other words page views are different because the segment lists all page views for the sessions where a user visited the news section. User count and session count is still correct but pageviews are bigger from content report.

BR,

Kimmo

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, Kimmo.

So do you think it would be best if I took the user count from that segment and then use the pageview, unique pageview count from filtering the All Pages to just /news/?

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That is one way of doing it yes. You can also do a custom report with users and page views and do a filter there where you use a page filter with a regex of /news/.

-Kimmo

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you so much!

It just confuses me why the pageview counts would be different from just going to the All Pages and filtering those related /news/ pages. To clarify, the user count is correct because that's how many went to the /news/ related pages, but the pageviews include the user's pageviews of other pages such as /about-us/ and /contact/. Is that safe to say?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yeah,

so the segments work so that you ask that ok, give me all the sessions where a user visited at least one page where the URL had /news/ in it. Then GA just filters all the sessions and all page views in those sessions which could be, besides /news/-pages, your home page or about page etc.

But again if you do not want to do that separately you can always do a custom report with users and page views metrics in it and filter it by page views that had the page of /news/.

-Kimmo

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, Kimmo.

I chose to do the custom report with the users and pageviews metrics, page as the dimension and the filter of page regex "/news/." Now this should still give me different pageviews than just filtering out "/news/" from the All Pages, correct? Sorry for rehashing this. I just can't get my mind around it, but I'm getting there!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott B
December 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, thats probably better.

The custom repport filter should give you the same amount of page views as filtering that from content reports (all pages). Filters in custom reports are pageview-level filters so they should work the same.

Not 100% sure though. Double check those with testing both custom reports and content reports.