AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering internal traffic not working for just one of our websites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

We have many websites, each with their own GA account, property and x3 Views:

• All traffic
  • External traffic
  • Internal traffic

Internal and external use an include and exclude IP address filter that looks like this for all our sites:

Screen shot of filter on Google Drive

(I tried to use the add photo button, but the post fails due to the HTML)

But bizarrely, on one of our sites, this filter does not work:

• No traffic comes through on Internal
  • Internal traffic appears within External 

I've tried changing to a new property and recreating the filters, but nothing changed.

Its very odd.  Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David M
November 2015

Re: Filtering internal traffic not working for just one of our website

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi David,

no - I was just asking if you are using IP anonymization or not ... ;-)

But with your website now I see with Google Tag Assistant for Chrome that you are actually using IP anonymization. It's the aip=1 parameter that is sent by your tracking code. You can see it also directly in your source code of the page as ga("set", "anonymizeIp", true); Maybe it's included in your system by default.

Therefore, just be sure to include the .0 in the last octet of the IP address instead in your view filter. It currently doesn't work because IP is anonymized first, and the view filter acts after that only.

Christoph

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

do you have Analytics IP anonymization in place for that site? If so, the last octet of all IPs is changed to a plain "0" beforehand [1] which affects any filters you might have set up for IP inclusion and/or exclusion. In that case, the .0 may fall outside the specified IP range/list.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2763052?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cristoph

Thanks for the reply.

I just read that article but it reads like its not an option - its just something that happens to all GA accounts. Where do you think I can check this setting?

The site in question uses a standard Drupal module to add GA, like several other sites we have, which all work fine. We just input the Property ID and that's it (the default options are all fine for us).

I  just tested:

• a brand new account 
  • with x3 Views, with only the Time Zone set
  • I then applied a single IP address filter of our corporate network (confirmed with whatsmyip.org) to make our 'external' and 'internal' views (as above)

...and once again, my visits showed up in 'external' and no traffic is coming through on 'internal'.

I also tested filtering using our Domain ISP (which we successfully used on our sites in the past, but then changed, which I won't go into).  Again, exactly the same issue so it doesn't appear to be IP specific.

Totally stumped!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi David,

so you aren't using IP anonymization - can you tell us the website to check?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cristoph

You say we aren't using IP anonymization, but it seems from the article that's not an option...its just something that GA does on all accounts. If this is an option, can you let me know how I can check?

The website is wellcomebookprize.org.

Thanks again for trying to help.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David M
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi David,

no - I was just asking if you are using IP anonymization or not ... ;-)

But with your website now I see with Google Tag Assistant for Chrome that you are actually using IP anonymization. It's the aip=1 parameter that is sent by your tracking code. You can see it also directly in your source code of the page as ga("set", "anonymizeIp", true); Maybe it's included in your system by default.

Therefore, just be sure to include the .0 in the last octet of the IP address instead in your view filter. It currently doesn't work because IP is anonymized first, and the view filter acts after that only.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cristoph

Yes, I knew that's what you were asking but I didn't understand how I could check. Now I've read your reply, and re-read the article above, I understand its set in the tracking code. I didn't understand how to turn it on/off.

Thank you very much. We've already removed it from our tracking code and the filtering is working as intended now.

Star awarded!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Glad to hear!