Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Filtering Default Channel Grouping in Custom Reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I've built a daily a custom report on a series of landing pages, and we have been using Google's Default Channel Grouping to identify traffic sources.

It's recently come to our attention that the Default Channel Grouping for display is far too broad, and we'd like to narrow it down to include DFA sources only.

As custom channel groupings cannot be used in custom reports, is there a non-destructive way we can filter all traffic from the display grouping except for DFA sources in our report?

If not, what is the best way of achieving this going forward?

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I believe some people will disagree with me but I wouldn't call destructive the altering of Default Channel Grouping. In fact, what you're doing is customising it to your needs since a one-size-fits-all approach doesn't necessarily fits all needs, surely enough. I do have my Default Channel Grouping customised across all views I manage.

You're right, custom channel groupings don't show in custom reports, unfortunately. So, I think that for now you're left with the option to customise Default Channel Grouping or leave it untouched. Or, you can always drill-down to display and filter out DFA sources. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @R Rodrigues - This makes a lot of sense.

The only issue with changing the Default Channel Groupings is that it's not retrospective. We are smack in the middle of our reporting cycle so it will mess with the numbers.

So, is there a way we could use filtering in the custom report to exclude source/medium "google/cpc" from the display grouping, but keep everything else? I can't see an AND option in the filters.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

In the custom report template, you can indeed Exclude > Source/Medium > Exact > google / cpc or any other source you want to. And when you add multiple filter layers, it works as an AND.

Let me know if the above helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I've made some changes in default channel grouping (renamed a few channels + changed processing rules + added a few new ones) but in reporting interface (and API) i still see the default names before renaming and I don't see new channels I've added to default channel grouping. Any idea why? Thanks 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Changes are not applied retroactively, so historical data won't be affected.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jayden L
December 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @R Rodrigues.

I found a solution in the end. I never understood the second part of the GA Display definition; " Ad Distribution Network exactly matches Content". I now understand "content" is a value used by GA Display network. I can then filter this out of my custom reporting, and it does work retrospectively.

Thanks for your help!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Thanks for the feedback, and well done! Glad it's sorted.