Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Fake converion - Direct access to confirmation page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

I'm facing an issue that most of you have probably faced before.

Some visitors type my websitename in their adresse bar, click on the first link, and go directly to mywebsite.com/ConfirmationPage.

Then Google Analytics counts a conversion (objective), which is actually a fake conversion.

The mandatory first step (required first step) in the funnel, seems to only works in "Goal Flow" and "Funnel Visualization" Smiley Sad

So what's the trick to get rid of these fake conversion ?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Thomas

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thomas G
August 2016

Re: Fake converion - Direct access to confirmation page

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thomas,

I know one possible solution but the Google Tag Manager is required for that.

Solution:

Use a trigger where the referrer for the transaction tag has to be the previous page in the process. Should block all the duplication transactions from the visitor returning directly to the confirmation page.

Keep in mind:

1) If the confirmation page is not HTTPS and the previous page is a HTTPS payment portal (document.referrer would be blank) - this doesn't work properly.

2) If the funnel is dynamic where the URL of the previous page might vary, though I guess you could build a lookup table for all the possibilities.

Not that technical solution but it should work. Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

Good job, that's a really good solution.
I used specific triggers on the confirmation page, using a defined referral as needed information to load the tag.
It works well.

I hope this solution will help other team.
Huge thanks Taavi.

Thomas

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Thomas,

Great to hear that.
Let us know if you have any further GA related questions in the future. Gladly help you out. Smiley Happy

All the best,
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi may i ask how you would do this via GTM, as I am facing a similar issue at my company 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Melisha T

You can use a trigger in GTM where the referrer for the transaction tag has to be the previous page in the process. Should block all the duplication transactions from the visitor returning directly to the confirmation page.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Taavi Kalvi Thank you!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Another option is to tell your webmaster to block the confirmation page with .htacess file.This will solve the problem 100%.

The simplest approach!