Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook traffic in app vs. referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and have very basic skills in analytics, so please bare with me.

I set up a click to website ad on facebook, but just realized that much of that traffic remains in app when visited from a mobile device. The thing is, I'm getting very different numbers regarding visitors and don't see an "in-app" column in my GA. In the end, I really don't know how many visitors i got on a specific URL, if there are any duplicates and what is the overall number.

Here is the GA screenshot

ga.png

And this is from FB

fb.jpg 

Something doesn't add up.

Help please

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Facebook traffic in app vs. referral

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

in any case you should not compare data from FB with GA data unless you know how everything is counted in what situations (clicks in FB are not equal with sessions in GA...).

That aside you should add campaign parameters to your ads landing page URL:
http://mysite.com/landing-page?utm_campaign=FB&utm_source=FB&utm_medium=paid...
This should help you get started:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

This way you can identify the traffic that came through that ad and separate it from other FB traffic

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! The answer is still too advanced for me... I'll look into it though and try to understand how this works Smiley Frustrated
Cheers!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ceci C
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

sorry I always start from very short and general and dive into details when necessary:
So basically you need to tell Google Analytics if you are and what traffic you are sending to your site since GA cannot automatically know what did the user see/clicked in FB or another media. In most cases Ga just sees the source/site where the traffic originated.

The way you can pass information about your ad campaigns and ads and ad copy is via landing page url. You need to manually add to the landing page URL that is defined in FB ad management (cant remember the name now) the information. GA can capture this information from URL paramters that have predefined names like utm_campaign and so on. The information that you enter to these parameters gets recorded to their respective places in Google Analytics reports.

Read through the material and if you have any specific questions or you want to make sure that your campaign URL is working let me know

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible