Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook Referral Traffic

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there a way to drill down or find out where the source of referral traffic from Facebook comes from?  We want to be able to drill down to find out which posts are driving traffic to our website.

Also, is it common to have a higher than normal bounce rate for referral traffic that comes from Facebook referrals?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Vicki,

You'll need to use custom campaign parameters in your URL to be able to drill down and find out which posts are driving traffic to our website and which ones perform the best.

You can use this official tool to generate those URLs. Recommend reading this excellent article as well written by @Annie C to learn more about campaign tagging in Google Analytics.

Bounce rate really depends on your ads and landing page(s). Make sure you have an excellent message match. A weak message match will result in a higher bounce rate and thus a drop in conversion rate.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the mention, Taavi!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your responses.  Though I think there is some confusion.  I'm talking about Facebook referral traffic to our website that comes from people visiting my company's page on Facebook.  We are not necessarily setting up ad campaigns.

Is there a way to set up url's to just capture the referral traffic from people that visit our Facebook page? 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

So, people are coming to visit your website from Facebook because you have a link on your company's page on Facebook?

You can still use UTM campaign parameters but they are pretty ugly, to be honest. :/

You can use GTM to hide those ugly UTM parameters if needed. Then you're able to track users who are coming to visit your site only from your company's Facebook page. Then you can separate traffic from ad campaigns and your company's page.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can't see which posts drove traffic to your site in Google Analytics. There's a dimension in GA called the Full Referrer dimension, and when you look at it for traffic from Facebook it just shows up as facebook.com (whereas from a website it shows up as domain.com/referring-page.html, for ex). So the only way you'd figure that it is by inference (i.e., traffic to a new blog post came from a post about that post) or by use of campaign tags. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: bounce rates, yes, Facebook traffic tends to have very high bounce rates unless your site contains content that's social friendly (e.g., memes, funny videos, celebrity news, recipes, etc.). Oftentimes visitors will flag more serious content to read later using tools like Pocket.