AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook Clicks through not being counted in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Over the past three years I have promoted my website very actively through Social Media, and primarily using Facebook. My Facebook page has nearly 130,000 followers. Until recently when I promote an advert that is on my website, I include a photo of the item, a shortened description and a Link that I create using the Google URL Shortner. Recently Facebook changed the way that photos are being stored and shown on my Facebook page timeline, so I have simply taken the complete original URL and posted it on my Facebook timeline. Facebook then picks up and shows the first image of the advert I am promoting and the beginning of the description. The resulting click through rate has been great, it has increased the number of advert views by a factor of about 6, however my Google Analytics does not see these visits and doesn’t record them as site visitors. This is confirmed when Google Analytics shows a total of 2,236 site visitors so far today, but one advert alone that I promoted two hours ago on Facebook, shows that currently it has had 4,251 advert views today. Each advert has a counter on it. How do I get Google Analytics to register and record these visitors that came from Facebook? I would appreciate some assistance with this very much Graham

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, you should get your paid ads to point to your site by adding the following parameters to your URLs:

&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=thenameofyouradcampaign

For there you'll see clicks from Facebook ads counted in your channels report in Acquisition > Channels

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julien

Will this mean that every visitor who clicks the promotion on my Facebook page will be counted by Google Analytics as a visitor to my website for that day?

Graham

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes, it definitely will.

At the very least it will show you how many of those vanilla visitors actually come from Facebook Ads as opposed to organic Facebook traffic (people posting links to your site on their wall)

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Re: Facebook Clicks through not being counted in GA

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Julien Coquet is on it with great advice.

Just a quick side note:

Even though "cpc" is the most common medium I see used for social ads and promotions, this isn’t a good option, in my opinion. The reason is if you check out Google’s Default Channel Definitions resource, you’ll see that campaigns tagged with a medium of cpc get dropped into the Paid Search channel.

paid search.png

CPC is a great option for pay-per-click campaigns within search engines like Google (AdWords) or Bing (Bing Ads) but not a good choice for paid social (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc).

What I recommend using is a custom medium like paid+social (the plus translates into a space in Google Analytics reports) in conjunction with a custom channel that I recommend calling Paid Social.

Cheers,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again for the answer Julien, I truly appreciate your help.

After your first reply, I promoted a new listing on my website with a post on my Facebook page,

I would normally have used this URL;

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/329/Historic-Rally-Cars/listings/37074/Lancia-Delta-Inte...

But following your advice, I used this URL:

&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=https://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/329/Historic-Rally-Cars/listings/37074/Lancia-Delta-Inte...

The Facebook page picked up the advert from my website etc, all good,

Up until that time of day, Google tells me my website had received 2,563 visitors for the day,

When I check now, that particular advert has been viewed 2,896 times, but my total number of site visits for the day is currently only 4,243 which means an increase of only 1,680 visitors recorded.

And given that I would expect to get at least 1,000 visitors from other sources at that time of day, GA is still not recorded the visitors from the latest Facebook post.

Have I done something wrong?

Many thanks

Graham

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That's where I disagree with you.

This is the exact reason why we have Custom Channel Groupings.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The frustrating aspect of this technique is that you're trying to reconcile numbers from different platforms - oranges and tangerines if you will.

While you may have an increase in visits (sessions), some visitors (users) can visit more than once and/or click your ad multiple times.

Look at your landing page report and add a secondary dimension (that dropdown menu above the first column) to select source/medium

That way you can see clearly how much traffic is attributable to FB (or another channel for that matter)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, I don't follow.

What am I saying that you disagree with?

Another promotion (unpaid) I put on my Facebook timeline earlier today has had 10,684 advert views on the website, but GA says I have only had 4,389 visitors all day.

My concern is how do I get GA to recognise these people have visited my website today?

Graham

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK I understand the oranges and tangerines analogy, however until recently I always did my Facebook promotions using a shortened URL that was pointing at the advert along with a photo and short description of the item for sale.

After a time, if I go back to the Google URL Shortener and see how many people have clicked on that shortened URL, it tallied quite closely with the advert views recorded on the website, it also tallied losely with the number of site visitors GA was reporting for the day.. It all made sense.

Now that I am simply putting the complete URL on my timeline and letting Facebook pick up the ad etc, the numbers are a world apart.