Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

FAR more users than sessions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there

I stumbled upon the following when browsing through client GA accounts:

BAT IE Stats.png

Obviously the number of users is wildly inaccurate, but what is causing this? 

I've read that running events in iframes could cause similar issues, but the only even we have running on this site is a scroll depth tracker through GTM. We have this script across all our sites though, and none of the others are showing stats such as this.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Regan,

Try to check your Audience > User Explorer to check if these users are really legitimate or just a spam bot.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

can you share your URL so we can look at your code implementation

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

http://www.becomingateen.ie/

There's just a standard GTM code on the site. We didn't do a publish or anything to the site that would have caused a change in the code implementation though.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Regan the only code I see is tag manager, I do not use tag manager so I am not 100% positive if additional code needs to be configured for GA as well or not. But I think you need additional code to get the full reporting of GA but as I stated I do not use GTM so I could be wrong. Maybe someone else who uses GTM can enlighten both of us.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Within tag manager we have a tag that does exactly what a standard GA script would do.

As I mentioned though, we have the same tags across all our sites, so I doubt it's a tag implementation issue.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

You have a 3,900%+ increase in new users I would start their look at what host they are coming from and where they are coming from and then look and see where they are going. That could lead you to the issue or at least give you more insight into the issue.

Re: FAR more users than sessions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When looking in the channels report and adding a secondary dimension of hostname, I can see the issue with new users is coming from another one of the client's sites. I've attached a screenshot of this (the blocks aren't blank, I've just removed the hostname for the sake of the client's privacy).

Untitled.png

Again, I'm not sure if this is a tracking script implementation issue, or if there are some underlying problems here.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Check the code on both sites and make sure they are using the right code, if different accounts are used the UA numbers should be different, if different properties are used the last digit -1, -2, etc should be different. I would strongly suspect an implementation issue so might want to look at all admin settings as well within GA.