Analytics
5.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Extremely high bounce percentage since new website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Last summer we've launched a new website on www.cogn-it.be

Since the new website, we've noticed a very high bounce percentage. It's 85-90%...

Before this was around 30%.

Our website is completely designed in function of the content, it's responsive, it's tested on all major browsers and devices. We don't have any clue why the bounce percentage would be this high and we're affraid something is not tracking correctly.

The GA property code is before the closing of the </head> tags.

Check this screenshot from GA:

A.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Extremely high bounce percentage since new website

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jeroen,

- How big / what sort of website is it? Does it have more than one page for example? What are your engagement figures like after the new site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nobody else who has a clue here?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My first thought was it could be people who are following links to your old content, then getting a 404 error and giving up. I just tried to go to https://www.cogn-it.be/cheeseburgersandsalad and got a 'This webpage has a redirect loop' error. That's may not be the cause, but it's probably worth fixing.

You might want to check what pages people are bouncing from the most and see if you can work out why. You could try updating your 404 page to help people find where the most popular content is on the new site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jeroen,,

You might want to check Audience>Technology>Browser&OS, drill down the bounce rate part and see if a specific browser is killing it for you (that would be the basic bot removing procedure). Do the same thing for >Network.

If you see something suspicious you can always create a copy of your view and start cleaning by ISPs.

Lastly there is the Admin>view setings: Bot filetering box you can check. I personally don't really think this is the strongest thing on earth but it cant't hurt.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Only the 7 visits through OPERA have a normal bounce rate:

2016-03-09_10-41-06.png

We will fix the 404 error which is not displaying, but I don't think this is the issue.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Look at your Landing and Exit pages and then follow those pages via the Behaviour flow see where they are dropping off how many interactions. Then analyze those pages do they have a bunch of links to external sites, do they open in a new browser window. Next I would do some filtering of users and segmentation of Sessions. We analyzed our data and found that our bounce rate was highest when a page took longer to load and that the main reason a page took longer was the Browser and Geographic location the users where coming from.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Are you getting the same kind of visitor numbers as before?

Also - and I know this is basic stuff, so apologies - but are you sure the GA code is on all your pages?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

- 404 error page is set right now, but this doesn't fix our problem

- GA code is on all pages, we've checked with http://www.gachecker.com/

- Visitor amount is the same, bounce percentage went up explosively

cognitB.pngcognitA.png