Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Extreme high bounce rate all pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For website https://impaqt.io we have a really high bounce rate. On average 72 %. 

I checked the data in GA and have several assumptions why this is possible:

1) Our site load time is on average 11 sec. So I suppose visitors get irritated and leave. 

2) The template (wordpress) is by itself slow and not mobile friendly resulting in a high bounce rate. 

2) Bad installation of GTM on website

3) We encounter a lot of spam attacks. 

I checked the bouncerate en time on site of all countries and this is more or less the same. The bounce rate is for mobile relatively higher then desktop 87 % vs 61 %. The score on Google pagespeed insights is also better for desktop in comparison with mobile. As I said an assumption is also spam attacks. But that would mean that a bounce rate for a specific country wouild be remarkably higher but the opposite is true. The bounce rates are more or less the same for alle countries. 

What could I be overlooking? 

Any suggestions on the next step? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Spam - is the bounce rate the same for all source/mediums? is the bounce rate higher for new visitors, than for lower? Spam is usually restricted to direct, or some odd referring sources. Spam visits rarely return to your site.

Is the bounce rate the same for all your landing pages? For example, is your homepage very high compared to pages within the site.

Does your site have calls to action from the landing pages which take visitors to pages, or websites, that you do not track?

Yes - 11 seconds is very high, is the same for all pages? Cross reference load time with bounce rate if you can.

Feel free to post a link to your site so forum members can take a look.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

First two point is main culprit and you need to fix that asap to reduce bounce rate. What do you mean by bad installation of GTM on website?

If you have doubt that tracking is not working correctly use chrome's Google tag assistant and fix if there is any issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you're on Wordpress, have you considered using AMP for your mobile page load speed?

Re: Extreme high bounce rate all pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. The bounce rate is high for all pages, landingpages. There is a small difference in new vs returning visitors. But that's normal. So the problem has to lie deeper I suppose. Normally we have a bounce rate of 4 %-6 %.

landing pages.pngnew vs returning.png