Analytics
6.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Extra 'index.html' in my 'Behaviour' stat filenames > Broken links

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Folks,

This is worrying me now. I looked in:

Behaviour > Overview

...and lower down that page, there is a table, headed 'Page' titles

It shows the page-views. But the pages listed can't be viewed. They have this mysterious extra 'index.html' after them. Do any of you know why this is? I'm worried that people are clicking into invalid links and exiting again never to come back!

Thanks,

John

screenshot-1.png

And another screenshot

screenshot-2.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John W
September 2016

Re: Extra 'index.html' in my 'Behaviour' stat filenames > Broken links

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi John,

Go to your view settings and you'll probably see index.html in the default page setting. What this does is add it to any URI that ends in a / .

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1010249?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,
Thanks SO much for getting back to me. It looks like you're correct. I made the adjustment. Fingers crossed.
I'm still worried though that visitors were getting 'Page not Found' at all of those links. I hope that it was just that Analytics was recording the page views incorrectly.
John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi again Theo,
The reports now don't show the 'index.html' on the end of each page.Hopefully it's be OK now.

Incidentally I was sent a link yesterday:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1010249?hl=en
Its made me worry--a little--again. It suggests that depending on what server your site is being served up through, a trailing / can possibly really cause problems. A server might add an 'index.html' or 'index.php' to try to complete the path that ends with a '/'
John

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hey John,

So the page not found problem when you click the flyouts on those pages with index.html is because they actually don't exist and are not found on the server. The setting, to me, is past it's time. That is, there was a time when you could not have a trailing / but now it's common and often the default behavior. To me all the setting does now is conceal flaws in htaccess or iis and if you have this issue natively on your site; you should have your webmaster types correct so that you truly only have one page and not hide it with settings in GA.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo , 

I had the same issue as John with my behaviour reports url's and already updated the index.html default page setting from the view settings. But the reports are still showing up with /index.html even if I had refreshed the page few times and logged out and in... 

Do you know why is this happening if it isn't setup that way?? 

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi Andrea,

The setting changes for future hits but will not alter past data.  Once the data is processed and the index.html is added, it's always there in your historical data.  

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn