Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Export user id and acquisition channel data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have set up User id in our Google analytics. When going to the User explorer I can see the acquisition channel of a specific user by clicking on the User id.

I want to download a dump of the user ids along with the respected acquisition channel to do some offline analysis but i cannot seem to find a way. Is that possible using either the export or some API feature?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Nick sorry that information can not be exported this would be considered PII as it could be used to identify a particular individual. Even though the User Explorer assigns a random number to a user this number is sticky to them by exporting this data and matching it up with additional data that is available you could over time begin to indentify individuals by name using such data as the time they come in the location they came from and what pages they visited, etc. Doing so would be a violation of Googles PII policy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response. I thought so too but we can actually get the data
moving on because we added the user id as a custom dimension. Does this not
violate google privacy policy?

If adding the user id as a custom dimension gives you access to the
underlying data then I can't see why exporting the data we have now would
be a violation. Any thoughts on that?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

By exporting you can marry that data up with other data that may be available to you from other systems such as IIS logs for instance or use it in a BI application that could give you much more power in analizing the data and seeing trends and tracking and identifing the specific user.

I assume you are using the User-ID feature and if so go back and read what you agreed and more specificly what you agreed not to do. The most import of which is notifing your users that you are tracking them and giving them the oppurtunity to opt out of the individual tracking or gaining the end users consent. In my organisation we are subject to freedom of information so we decided the little bit of information we could gain from tracking them across different devices and stiching their sessions together was not worth the hassles of collecting that information and then having to fight and spend money on any legal battles over being wrongly accused of misusing or abusing the data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, https://scitylana.com will do just that. Scitylana will pull all raw data, including user id, at hit-level and unsampled, user by user, click by click from GA (free edition) onto your local hard drive. From here on you can use data in Excel, Power Pivot, Power BI, SQL Server or whatever you like.