Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

% Exit Metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I'm a little bit confused about the '% Exit' metric in the Landing Pages and Exit Pages reports. It seems as if the % Exits increasing is shown as a positive in GA and I can't see the logic in why a higher % Exits would be positive. 

The formula is # of Exits/Pageviews

The goal is obviously to have more Pageviews and less Exits one would assume. Just using a simple example:

500/1= 500

500/2= 250

In this example the # of Exits remain the same but Pageviews increase. So as Pageviews increase (which is what we want) the Exit % in theory should drop, which is also a positive. What am I missing in my interpretation of this metric?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: % Exit Metric

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I think the problem with your logic is that you are assuming that the number of Pageviews could be less than the number of Exits. In order to count as an exit a page view would have to occur, and since not everyone is going to exit your site on the same page the number of exits should always be smaller that the number of Pageviews.
1/500=0.002
2/500=0.004

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ahhhh I see the fault in my logic. In theory then, % Exit cannot increase while Pageviews decline overall, correct? Because that is what I am seeing, which added even more confusion.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Are you doing any filtering or segmentation?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am.

Currently segmenting by device type (i.e. Mobile, Tablet, etc.) on this particular report.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Orvin try removing the segment and see if you numbers bounce back to what one would expect. Then we can do additional trouble shooting as the problem may lie with your segment set up.