AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Exclude SPAM IP addresses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand the idea about excluding your own IP address but I need to exclude a spam IP address 192.68.2.2 (does anyone in Europe have the same problem with this IP?)

Using Admin > property > tracking info > exclude referral list - there only seems an option to exclude a domain.  I can't seem to find an option for inserting an IP address.

I know you can add an IP address as a filter to a view but as I understand filters are useful but can also be tricky to use properly (ie. the filter system can be so convoluted the data can be a bit of a nonsense)

Can anyone help?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlClBl R
January 2016

Re: Exclude SPAM IP addresses

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Allison :-)
it would seem you are a bit at sea.

If the existing Views already have filters applied to them, I would leave them set up as they are. Removing filters will not get any of the filtered data back.
So best to leave them setup as they already setup.

Views will often have one or numerous filters applied to the same View. A Property in Analytics is limited to 25 Views so requiring each filter to have its own View would be an issue, especially for large analytics accounts with numerous reporting requirements.

I'm not understanding what you mean by the following:
"are you sure that you want to remove the filter "192.68.2.2" from this view? doesn't work.
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi AlClBl R :-)

The usual way to exclude an IP address is with a filter.

Filters do not work on historical data already collected, only going forward from the time they are applied.

Gemeral golden rule is to leave the default All Website Data View without any filters applied - helps to ensure there is always a full, unedited copy of data available should it be needed for reporting purposes

A filter for a single IP is very easy setup
To exclude a single IP address, such as 192.168.0.1, set up the filter like this:
Filter name: enter a name
Filter type: Predefined
Select filter type: Exclude
Select source or destination: traffic from the IP addresses
Select expression: that are equal to
IP address: enter a single IP address

Reference: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Bronwyn,

Thank you for your help with this; unfortunately, I am not having much luck.

.... leave the default All Website Data View without any filters ...

I inherited this site when I started working here and it is all a bit chaotic. I don't see anything that looks like a clean All Website Data View. There are two views, both having various filters, one has got 11 filters!

Should there only ever be one filter per view (otherwise any subsequent filters will not fit any higher level criteria)?

I have tried to remove the 11 filters so the view is totally without filters and the action ... "are you sure that you want to remove the filter "192.68.2.2" from this view? doesn't work.

Am I on the right track or completely at sea?

PS. I have just been reading about regular expressions. Should I write the IP address I want to exclude as 192\.68\.2\.2
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlClBl R
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Allison :-)
it would seem you are a bit at sea.

If the existing Views already have filters applied to them, I would leave them set up as they are. Removing filters will not get any of the filtered data back.
So best to leave them setup as they already setup.

Views will often have one or numerous filters applied to the same View. A Property in Analytics is limited to 25 Views so requiring each filter to have its own View would be an issue, especially for large analytics accounts with numerous reporting requirements.

I'm not understanding what you mean by the following:
"are you sure that you want to remove the filter "192.68.2.2" from this view? doesn't work.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Bronwyn, Thank you for your help with this. I have been getting confused with filters and referral exclusion lists. I have created a "clean" all website traffic view WITHOUT ANY filters at all. I have also set up a view with the filters I require. Hopefully, this will do the trick. Thanks again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
too must hacking going at google server .