Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Events report time lag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm loving all the new (for me!) things I'm discovering with Analytics. Wish I had started exploring it years ago. But...

I have found the report for events only seems update once a day. Yes, I can see the events as they happen under real time, but the events under the behavior section only seems to update daily. Is this normal, because it makes things very difficult to test, I have to wait 24hrs to see if something is working correctly or not.

Surely there must be a way around this, some way to get the data quicker than this? What I am tracking is a set of voting buttons for images. I have to track how many times each button is clicked to end up with a winner at the end of the competition. As I said, it does work, and I am getting the results come through, with button A clicked 20 times, button B clicked 15 times and so on. But  those results are 24 hrs behind what's actually happening.

I only have test pages online right now. The competition doesn't start for a week, and Im really hoping I can find some way to see results more than once per day.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Events report time lag

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi AJ,

Does the web property already get a lot of traffic? If so, then you may be hitting the intraday processing limit.

If so you may want to consider sending your events to a different property.

You also may want to consider using other software for this in particular as the terms of service don't actually guarantee real time data. Also event tracking data, the way it's processed and displayed, can also be a little deceptive especially when you start looking at "unique" events.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi, Aj A,

GA data requires a processing time of about 24 to 48 hours. You may see data coming in to your reports (intraday data) sooner than that, but you really shouldn't be using that data until it has finished processing (ie. you've waited at least 24 hours). I've seen situations where only some data is processed, giving an incomplete picture. That's why my tendency is to not use intraday data. One alternative is to use Real-Time, but even that isn't completely reliable (just google "google analytics, real time problem" and you'll see why). A better way would be to use either the Developer tools to check the hits that are being sent to GA, and also to use Chrome's GA Debugger tool. This is a free plugin for Chrome (I think it has also been ported to Firefox), that lets you see loads of awesome debugging info, including whether or not your hits are being sent in.

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much guys. Im not good enough with the analytics and scripting side of things to consider anything other than the current setup I dont think. I guess I will just have to go with what I have now as I know it does actually work. Just that it takes a day or so to get results into a report. I did a test yesterday. At 2am I clicked some of the buttons, saw the results in real time. But, the actual events report didnt show those clicks until 10pm... a 20 hr delay.

I guess if I tell the site owner that the custom dashboard that shows the number of votes for each image only updates daily, then at least she will be aware that is happening and not panic that something isn't working. Its a pretty big deal for the site owner ( a competition for wedding dresses made from toilet paper) and they choose a "viewers choice" at the end of it, although the main competition is done by judges.

So in actual fact there is no real need to know exact results until the end, I had just hoped it would have been possible. However, it is what it is, so I will live with it ;-) Thanks again. As I'm new here and enjoying exploring some of the things that can be done with Analytics, I'm sure I will have other questions in the future. Thank you. Now I'm off to see if I can find some way to put locations of the votes (cities preferably) into that custom dashboard.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I forgot to mention. I did get the Google Analytics debugger plugin for Chrome a couple of days ago, and it's awesome! All my data is getting pushed to Analytics, including the cookies, votes, names etc, so that part is all good. It was only the time lag that was the bug for me, but seems I just have to accept that. But yes, that debugger is worth its weight in gold.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
That's good to hear. Yes, the debugger is awesome!

Another option that I forgot to mention is that you should have a Raw view, meaning a view that does not have any filters applied to it. Sometimes data is processed a little slower especially if you have various filters applied, and other customisations (content groupings, custom dimensions/metrics, etc.). With a raw view the data *may* show up a bit sooner, but this is just my pseudo-theory.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Any hints on how to do that? What I did was set my event up as a goal, so I could see the number of votes for each name.
Thanks, AJ

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi, AJ,

One thing to note about goals is that the same goal can only be incremented once per session (but I presume one wouldn't be able to vote more than once anyway, unless they cleared their cookies, etc...etc... ). But you should still be able to see to total number of events (unique and non-unique) in your Events reports.

To set up the Raw view, just create a new view, configure it like your other views, configure your goals there and ecommerce, but do NOT include any filters (unless they affect your Destination (URL) goals, like a Hostname Prepend filter).