Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Events as Dimensions in Custom Reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am creating a Custom Report and I'd like to include PDF downloads in this report. My behavior/events/ seem to be working just fine, but when I go to make a Custom Report on these events, the option doesn't seem to exist in the Dimensions drop-down.  Is this functionality not yet available or is there some crucial step I'm missing?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Events as Dimensions in Custom Reports?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It really depends on which combo of dimensions/metrics you want to see in your report.
I have tons of custom reports with Event data so it boils down to which additional dimension/metric you're associating with the event data.
Can you share your intended setup?
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just wanted to have a table of unique events for specific downloads. I noticed that the Dimension "Event Label" is available in the Custom Dashboards, which I guess I could use, but I just think it's odd that it isn't available in the Custom Reports.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Try this:
https://www.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=_dvQhrkKQ-i0JMWDiI1vTQ

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's what it looks like in the Dashboards section:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u9gZYejcANA/VkIEd6PnPRI/AAAAAAABVbs/Es8OEqIRAHc/s800-Ic42/eventst...

I had to just paste the URL because the photo-adder is blowing up. It's probably the firewall where I'm at.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam F
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
If you want a Custom Report, this should work fine (i added Users as a metric)

https://www.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=he3mOPVYStikmVHgTGfbzQ

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. Currently struggling with implementing this in my agency's Analytics rather than my own, which is set as the default. LOL.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay. I was able to share it with my Agency account using the Solutions Gallery after making it publicly available, logging out as me, and logging in as my Agency.

The solution works. Thank you.

Oddly, When I create a NEW Custom Report, the option exists.

Could the things I select on one tab have an effect on the options I have on further tabs I create in a custom report? That seems to be the only difference in the original report I made; it already had one tab on it and that referenced Pages rather than Events.

Edit:  Hmm. Yeah. I think that Unique Pageviews and Events don't seem to like each other very much. Interesting!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Well yes, there is a dimension/metric compatibility matrix so as you select some dimensions, some metrics become unavailable.
Also, keep in mid that some items in GA follow their own accounting system that does not necessarily play well with other elements.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again, Julien.