Analytics
6.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Events Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Been reading through some material but could not find an answer.

I track events on a per page basis (we have a dynamic form that is used on 100 pages), so I use the page dimension to filter out on what page the form was filled out.

I am using Google Tag Manager:

Tracking ID: {{UA-ID}}

Track Type: Event

Category: Pre-qualified Form Data

Label: {{Pre-qualified Form Data}}

Non-Interaction Hit: False

Tag firing options: Once Per Event.

So I look in the form database (this is just a small sample) I only see one submission from that form.  I look at the events for that page and see 2 events.

Could this be pressing the button twice?

It is a 2 part form so that might be it, I might need to edit the first submission?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Events Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Brett M

Yes, that could be the reason. But it's difficult to say without seeing your trigger configuration and the form. Perhaps you could post screenshots or links?

Events Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Phillip.

Thank you for your reply.  

Here is a link to the form we are using on multiple pages, https://crosscountrymortgage.com/landing-pages/mike-poldruhi/

Does that help.  Or do you need more?

Thanks

Events Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey man,

I know you are busy, just seeing if you had any more feedback?

Thanks

Events Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Brett,

So I just tested the form. The first step of the form doesn't fire an event. It seems that you're (correctly) tracking an event upon form submission.

However, you're apparently only validating the form fields server side. So if a user enters an incorrectly formatted phone number for instance and submits the form, an event is fired, but the form is then displayed again when the page has refreshed, this time with an error message. Then the user re-enters a correct phone number, and submits the form again resulting in an additional event.

That scenario will result in two events and one unique event. The best way to fix this is to also have javascript validation of all form fields. Your GTM trigger can then be configured to fire only when all fields are valid and submitted.

Hope this helps.

Events Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Awesome thanks!

But it still begs the question when I look in the database for the submitted forms vs Unique events they are still off.

Any ideas there?

Thanks so much, you rock!

Events Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It's not uncommon that Google Analytics will report differing numbers than your backend.

In your case, you've been tracking events on form submissions that didn't go through (because of the server-side validation). If a user abandons your site after an invalid form submission, Analytics will still log the event, but your backend will not, since the form wasn't submitted.

In other cases, server delays may prevent the Google Analytics event from firing altogether before the form is submitted. Make sure that your Form Trigger in GTM is set to "Wait for Tags" and "Check Validation".

Also, some ad blockers can and will block Google Analytics (I wrote a blog post about that recently: http://analytical42.com/2016/ad-blockers-blocking-google-analytics/).

Events Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks man.  Much appreciated.

Events Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Phillip,

Just one more question and I will leave you alone, LOL.

One day we had 2 people to fill out a form (made it to our Kentico database).  But in the Event tracking it said only one for that day.  What do you think would cause that?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Brett