Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Events Overview Total Events vs Events Flow Sessions/Events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure what I'm looking at when I look at the Events Flow report.

The Events Flow report has a number of columns for 1st Event, 2nd Event, etc... up to 7th Event in my case.

Am I right in thinking that the number of sessions that contained, for example, one event is equal to the number of sessions that had a first event and the number of sessions that had two events is equal to the number of sessions had a second event?

In my case, as per the images below, that would mean that 263 sessions had a first event and 43 sessions had a second event.

1st-event.PNG

2nd-event.PNG

That should mean that so far there have been 306 (263 + 43) events in 263 sessions.

If I extend the calculation to include 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th event sessions I end up with a total of 333 events in 263 sessions.

This doesn't match up to the Total Events on the Events Overview report which shows 734 Total Events in 263 sessions.

So where are the other events?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Events Overview Total Events vs Events Flow Sessions/Events

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Douglas,

A couple of things here:

1. Your sessions with first event of 263 is exactly that. In the date range 263 sessions had an event. Of those 263, 220 had no further events (220 final event) and of those 263, 43 sessions had a second event. So in other words, the 263 is your total universe of sessions with events and 43 for 2nd event is a subset of the 263.

2. You are mixing apples and oranges as it is not a count of events but of sessions with events. If you look at the nodes they will have a count of the actions or you can hover or select group details to see the events tied to those sessions.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thanks for the reply.

I had read something about not being able to mix session and hit level data (although I didn't fully understand exactly what the relationship is between the two), which may be something to do with what's going on here.

I've been wondering if my events have been firing multiple times in a row. Say the first event fired five times and no other events fired. That would show up as one session where the first event fired and that event was the final event, but might show up as five events on the Events Overview. So the second event is really the second event that isn't the same as the first event. Does that sound feasible?

Douglas.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Douglas,

It's a little confusing the topic of hit level and session level but that's more for metrics and dimension combinations and how and when session level dimensions get set. The way event totals are reported in the user interface can also be confusing as the column headings don't always exactly reflect what you would expect.

To make it more confusing, events and sessions ARE different and the report that you're using does kind of co-mingle and equate them. For a variety of reasons, I wouldn't get to hung up on comparing totals in these reports against the counts in the event reports The events flow report is helpful for understanding how one event may lead to another. The behavior flow report also gives you the ability to look at the aggregate pathing of events and pages which is also helpful.

In regards to your real concern about duplicating events, It doesn't look to me like you are sending multiple events at a time. Or I should say, that they are being duplicated. Your data show that after a first event (263 sessions), there are only 43 times that a second event even occurs and only 12 times when a third event occurs.

You can use the chrome debugger plugin or the tag assistant to see how many events fire.

Links are here for your reference:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn