Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Event Tracking for PDFs not working

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

There are particular PDFs that I have hosted on my site which don't exactly have direct links anywhere except on a third-party pop-up app (Sleeknote) and on third-party site. 

I set up event tracking via GTM to track PDF views but I can't see any data for my specific PDFs on there. How can I go about tracking clicks/views for these group of PDFs? Do the links have to be on a landing page within my main site in order for me to track them? I also tried using UTM parameters but no data seems to be showing up for those either. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

What exactly do you want to track? Downloads/opens of the pdf-s? Or clicks on links inside the pdf-s?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to track the downloads/opens of the pdfs Smiley Happy 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, so when you say "There are particular PDFs that I have hosted on my site which don't exactly have direct links anywhere except on a third-party pop-up app (Sleeknote) and on third-party site.", what you actually say is not that they are hosted on your site, but that you simply have onsite a link for download (they are actually hosted on a third part site), correct?

Anyway, what you have to do is to set up a Universal Analytics Event tag in GTM, and set the a Click-Just links type trigger for it and put the condition Click URL contains the url where the pdf is hosted. (I assume you have already implemented GTM on site). 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry for the confusion. The PDF is uploaded onto my site's server. However, the links to it can be found on the third-party app and another site. Does that change anything?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

oh, in this case, you can not track the clicks for download made on the third party website, but maybe you can track the visits to you own site, on the specific url where the pdf is found. 

I found this thread here, maybe it helps: https://www.quora.com/Google-Analytics-How-can-I-track-PDF-downloads-that-come-from-links-on-externa...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Angeli V,

The similar setup as @Anca Banica suggested is to have html page and have this analytics code fired by @Дмитро Б
here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Code/Tracking-Clicks-to-a-File-from-Exter...

Thanks,
Ritwik

Thanks,
Ritwik