Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced Link Attribution for common navigation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello. I would like to see a report similar to an In-Page report with Enhanced Link Attribution except for common navigation areas, I would like it to show totals of all clicks for all pages that have that same common navigation. It doesn't have to be an In-Page view, just a simple data report would be fine. The key is it needs to filter based on the Enhanced Link Attribution ID that it found for the page view since the links in the common nav are also in other places on the site. So, for example, I would like to see a report of all views that originated from the common navigation area which has a unique container ID that can be found by Enhanced Link Attribution. Is this possible? It seems simple but I have not found a way to do it. The solution right now is to try to track all clicks on the common navigation as events which does not seem ideal to me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Dave

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Enhanced Link Attribution for common navigation

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Dave,
Enahnced Link Attribution is only designed to work with in the In-Page-Analytics section I do not see a dimension or a metric that would allow for this type of report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Brian! What I really want is to have aggregate counts across all pages with the same navigation for common navigation elements. It's okay if it is only available as in In-Page report. Maybe this is just something that is not possible but it would be great if it was.

Technically, the ELA id value used must be available within GA and associated with the page view for them to be able to produce the In-Page report. It would be really nice if they made it available for general reporting.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
The closest you will come to that is users flow.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I believe I have this working. At least, it works well with the limited testing I have done so far. Here is what I did:

1.) Set up ELA as usual.

2.) Set up a 1st Party Cookie GTM variable for _gali (default name of ELA cookie which contains id from click of previous page).

3.) In the Universal Analytics tag within GTM, add a custom dimension and set it to the value of the variable.

4.) In Analytics, set up a custom dimension value corresponding to the index for the dimension passed in step in GTM in the previous step. This will contain the id of the ID found for ELA and will be available as a dimension for reporting with Page Views.

I was able to add the dimension to the Site Content All Pages report as well as a custom report and was able to see counts for the same page from my various navigation points listed by ELA Id. This will show only page views that were saved with a value for the dimension. With some additional work, I think a custom JS variable could be used to put in a default value if the cookie was not present or had no value. Then, all views could be shown with a value of 'unknown' for the ones without ELA values.