Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Empty events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys! I've found out the strange data in our reports.

For events we have Empty Event Category with a great number of unique events and 0 for total events. I've tried to check different secondary dimensions like page, referral, host - but there is no data at all. What is it and how to avoid collecting it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Empty events

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You are not alone -- and I suspect not going to find anything. This looks like A GA bug...
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Confirmed that this looks to be a web reporting interface issue - the API shows no such data. Ignore it...the rest of the number are correct. Escalated...
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mike, thank you for your reply. Glad to know that i'm not alone. But rather sad that i can't influence on it. Anyway it seems like there is no bad impact on the collecting data in general so i'll try just accept itSmiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mike, you've told that API don't shows such data but , but i've used Query Explorer and it shows the same data. So it looks not just interface problem.
http://prntscr.com/bbg1wh

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Ah - interesting.... If you include the metric 'Hits' in the query, the blank category line disappears. That implies somehow the event is being recorded without a hit...??? Technically, I would think that is not possible. Again, it sounds like a processing problem.

It also looks like it happened from May 17-29, then stopped. Even in properties that had no events.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's also interesting that it's difficult to find out when exactly the problem appears. If i choose the 22-27 of May - this empty event appears, if i take 23-38 of May - no empty events. If i take 22th of May only - no empty events. Anyway, i hope that this problem was solved. Thank you.