Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Email traffic showing under (Other) channel in spite of links having utm_medium=email

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,     

As the title says, we're using utm links in our email links going out.   

All the email links have utm_medium=email appended (besides source and campaign name).

In GA, keeping primary dimension as medium, this traffic shows under email.   

However, under default channel grouping, this traffic is showing under (Other) channel. 

I have looked at channel definition and it is 'system defined', meaning that it includes email traffic where medium=email (which is the case).  

any help into why is this happening?

Re: Email traffic showing under (Other) channel in spite of links having utm_medium=email

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Adil,

As long as Medium matches "email" it should be categorised as Email channel. Can you further ensure you're using lowercase "email" for the utm_medium parameter? The system defined Channel Definitions are case sensitive https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892

Also check filter settings, if there's any Filter applied that modifies the URL?

Another thing you can check, there's no redirect on the site in a way that strips off UTM parameters.

Hope this help & let me know if that still doesn't solved the issues. Try making a custom report: "Source/Medium-Default Channel-Session" and check there if it's one off case or consistent anomaly.

Cheers!