Analytics
5.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Email showing as Direct in reports

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I noticed that our GA reports were not showing Email in our reports (in Channel grouping or Medium) even though we've been using email extensively

This has only happened since we changed our marketing automation platform from Hubspot to Pardot.

So I've started using the Google URL builder for key campaigns, setting medium as Email, and after amending the Default channel grouping, we now have a Default channel grouping of Email for those campaign emails.

However, we aren't using the Google campaign builder for all emails or email links. Having dug around, I've noticed that non-campaign emails/links are being recorded by GA as source: direct and medium: (none)

I don't want to have to create campaigns for all our email links. However, if I add the following parameters at the end of the email, will this work and ensure all email clicks in future to the website (outside of campaigns) are recorded correctly: ?utm_source=pardot&utm_medium=email

Re: Email showing as Direct in reports

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi DLiley -

First of all, if you want to measure your email campaigns, you would have to include UTM's in all the necessary links. This will ensure that you know exactly what part Email Marketing as a whole plays in your marketing bundle. If you don't tag some of the links and only some, it will skew your data a bit, making it difficult to get a true reflection of each marketing channel.

Secondly, you will need to include Source, Medium and Campaign when tagging the links. Those three are prerequisites. Content and Term is optional.

If you only include source and medium, it won't work.

Cheers,
Tiaan

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Tiaan

We don't really want to create campaigns or add those parameters to have single email or link in an email.

For example, the email logo may link to our homepage on each email. We just want to ensure in GA that when people click on that link it's categorised correctly as Email and not Direct.

Are there any other options available to us?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi DLiley,

Unfortunately, if you want to use UTM parameters, you will have to use the campaign parameter too. Otherwise it won't pull through as expected. Even if you give the campaign parameter a value of "email", to ensure it works correctly.

Cheers,
Tiaan