Email reports losing their filters
I have several daily email reports scheduled for different areas in my company. Their base is a custom report I made, but each of them has a different URL based filter (we're a news website, so the "politics" editor recieves reports only with URLs for his area).
The thing is, last Friday, all of them sort of lost their filters. The base report (with general information) started being sent out. I noticed it on Monday and created them all over again. I figured this happened due to a modification I made on the report (switched one of the metrics I used to send out).
On Tuesday, it rolled perfectly.
Today (Wednesday), though, they were once again sent without their filters. This time, I did not make any changes to the base report.