Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Email channel sessions not making sense

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I've recently began looking into our site's GA data, and notices that it says our email traffic is way down (~1000%) from this time last year; however, we are sending out just as many newsletters as in the past, and our data in Constant Contact says that the 'click throughs' are about the same.  I'm wondering what could cause this huge discrepancy in GA data, when it doesn't really make any sense.  

Our email sessions have gone from 3476, to 348 over the same time span according to GA.

Thanks so much, 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Email channel sessions not making sense

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Steven if you are using custom channels or have made any changes to your default channels the first place to start is to undo those changes monitor for a few days and then see if your numbers start to improve. If no changes to your default channels have been made look at other data and see if they are trending up or down and if so by what percentage. If everything is down then verify that you have the GA code on every page in your site and that it is located in the header. Once you look at the above we will have a better idea of what your issue might be. If possible provide your URL so the community can poke around.

Re: Email channel sessions not making sense

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Brian!

There have been no changes made to the channels. All the other channels are fairly similar from this time last year, or can be explained. For example, we've started putting more effort into social media, and the social media traffic has increased by 277%.

The website is here: http://nbs.net

One thing my colleague noticed today was that prior to December, when someone came to the website via the newsletter the url had some extra items in it. Now, that has changed, and when people come to a page through the newsletter the url is the same as if they came to the page through Google. I'm not sure if that means anything; but, it's one thing that's been noticed.