Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Email Tracking Randomly not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I"m using Google Analytics to track users open email events but lately there will be days that all of a sudden I wont see any open events even thought I know for a fact that there were emails open.

Did anyone experience something similar?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Email opens are not reliable as they depend on the ability (or settings) of the e-mail client or webmail to automatically open images inside the e-mail. This means your e-mail open metrics are sampled at best.

A more reliable method is to track e-mail click-throughs by placing UTM parameters in links from the e-mail to your website and tracking trafic in Acquisition > Channels

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julien for your answer!

I agree with you that this is true as a general rule of thumb but in our situation we see that in some days that the total amount of events are 0(see attached image in link) and we know for a fact that this is not true .

Our clients use different kinds of email such as Outlook, Gmail and ext. So it will be very weird to think that all of them didn't manage to download the pixel.

The link from the e-mail is a good solution but we are sending a sort of a newsletter and we are interested to know if the clients bothered to open it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The very fact that you see e-mail open as an event implies that you either:

1. embedded Javascript in the email (bad practice)

2. embedded a Measurement Protocol pixel in the the email

Scenario #1 is completely unreliable (works partially in webmails) whereas #2 works fine, assuming you're dealing with an email client that allows for remote images to be loaded (automatically, preferably)

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was surprised to see those glitches because we use a pixel image to measure the open email event

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Nothing random here but at the same time you can't expect visitors to have the exact same behavior all the time Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

True, but if I know for a fact that users opened the email that day (for example I did) then it smells a little fishy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Even more then that. 

Right now I see in the Real Time panel that there are active users but in the behavior panel it shows that no events have occurred today.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

then it could be a config issue

can you send me a test e-mail at julien dot coquet at gmail dot com?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julien, really appreciate it.

Sent you an email.