Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Email Marketing Clicks vs Google Analytics Sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I have a question in regards to email marketing metrics.

I'm using exact target for emails, and our clicks are 500% higher in exact target when I compare it to Google Analytics sessions. I confirmed with Google that our tracking code is firing off correctly, so it is not a Google Analytic's issue. I was wondering why exact target clicks are so much higher than Google Analytics sessions. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Are there any resources that may further explain this?

Thanks so much for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Email Marketing Clicks vs Google Analytics Sessions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Victoria,

While you will never see a 1 to 1 match, 500% seems high. Can you explain what you're comparing your clicks to in GA? That is, are you looking at your overall traffic or trying to look in campaign reports, channels, source/medium?

Are you using the exact targeting analytics connector?

https://help.exacttarget.com/en/documentation/integrated_products__crm_and_web_analytic_solutions/we...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for responding. I'm using the entrance metric in the pages report because this particular page is exclusive to our email campaign. Yes, we do have the exact target analytics connector installed.

Any information, ideas or resources that you can provide will be helpful.
Thanks.
Victoria

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Victoria,

This is a painfully obvious question that I hate to ask but you are looking at Opens or clicks?

There are many reasons that a click will not register in GA. One, let's make sure that all links in the email are actually going to the landing page in questions. Two, a user could click and then abandon before the page and GA loads. Another could be no GA coding on landing pages (probably not the problem).

That said, I would still not expect to see a 500% variance. I would also look at the campaigns report to see if you might have tagged traffic going to a different page.
Acquisition>>Campaigns (then select the email campaign in question)

Hope that helps.

Theo
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn