Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

On the Site Speed suggestions and the page speed suggestions I keep getting the same message on what to consider fixing. 'Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content. 

Can you please explain what this means and how I can fix it? 

It's appearing on every page and the website is appearing very slowly. 

Thanks, 

Alicia. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Alicia L,

Above the fold means the content that loads first and is seen before scrolling down a page. If you go to your website, right click on the page and pick view source, you will see in the upper part of the coding CSS and JavaScript. These are call actions that have to be fetched and rendered before the remaining content can be. This slows the pageload speed down, which is what the reports are telling you. 

Depending on the type of website you have (WordPress, HTML, CMS, Forum, etc.) there are different tasks needed to improve the speed, by working on the site coding, plugins, etc.. These can vary from intermediate to highly-complex and it is best to have someone do the work that is comfortable with coding and website operations since one can easily render a website inoperable.

You read up on all of this (and much more) and get a better understanding of it all with this well-written help file by Google Developers

And you can see more about your website's overall structure, how it loads, seo and more by running a free test here

Along with all of this, speed is determined by the hosting package, server set up, etc.. You can contact your hosting company and ask if you are on a performance package/server, if you are using a dedicated IP, and what can be done to bring better performance. Some hosting packages provide a CPanel login, which will allow you to optimize the site some with the click of a button. 

Site Performance - Best Practices:
1) Enable compression
2) Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
3) Leverage browser caching
4) Minify CSS
5) Optimize images
6) Minify JavaScript
7) Minify HTML
8) Avoid landing page redirects
9) Reduce server response time
10) Prioritize visible content

I hope this helps. As you can image, there are many variables with the trillions of websites online today, and it is impossible to provide more concise info without a lot of time digging into your website. 

Kind Regards,

James