Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Ecommerce quantity, rows and revenue changing when adding secondary dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a weird one that I have never seen before. When viewing eCommerce transactions reports, the quantity, revenue and number of rows changes for the same time frame when all I do is add a secondary dimension. I have included some screen grabs. You can see the quantity and number of rows totals different. And you can see the revenue for the same transaction Id's change from $49.95 to $52.89. The top half of the images is with no secondary dimension and the bottom is with one. It doesn't seem to matter what the dimension is, it always happens. It's not as drastic a difference but it happens in Acquisition reports too. This is the only Account I have this issue with. A guess would be that maybe there is a time stamp issue from different servers posting the data, but why would affect revenue? So I don't think that's it. I am not a developer, but can loop mine in if need be. Any ideas anyone?GA Rows Change.pngGA Qty Change.pngGA Rev Change.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACMG M
May 2017

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi ACMG M,

You are exactly correct.  You are seeing an artifact of sampling that is applied when viewing more than 500k sessions in a date range and asking for data that is not pre-aggregated (secondary dimension, custom report, segments...).

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I actually just realized I think it has to do with the amount of data Google can process as when I add the secondary dimension, the stats aren't based on 100% of traffic. But I still ask why would that change the revenue amount for transaction Ids?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I am also facing the same issue with analytics, sales performance report. Kindly let me know if you found an answer for the same. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well I know it has something to do with the data limits that can be processed. You should look in the top right under the data range and see how many sessions are being used - 100% or not. As for why the revenue changes, I don't know, but it has to be related to that. Perhaps the revenue for a sku is not estimated and then its amortized over the number of transactions, which will be less, so the revenue per transaction is higher.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACMG M
May 2017

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi ACMG M,

You are exactly correct.  You are seeing an artifact of sampling that is applied when viewing more than 500k sessions in a date range and asking for data that is not pre-aggregated (secondary dimension, custom report, segments...).

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo. Curious if you can check this one out and let me know what you think.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Data-Import-Overwrite-Not-Working...