Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic value for utm source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

Hoping for some help here. I know that utm_source is required for the URL builder. However if I set this value statically, GA will not show the actual referring site.

I would like to have the value for campaign source to be dynamic for the medium and campaign name that I'm setting in my custom URL. I hear there is a way to do it by setting utm_source=dynamic and then replacing this value in the advanced filter's "output-to" constructor with the actual referrer's value. Is that true? If so, please share some details? If not, is there another way?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic value for utm source

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I have found an article that says you can and shows how to do it if your using Tag Manager and an example of how to do it if your not. Let me know if this works.
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/06/11/campaign-tracking-dynamic-source/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
saw it too, still can't make heads or tails Smiley Happy Never used GTM before, can't find where to add the macros yet. I got the code and will insert it, will the dashboard of the overview change then? I see no way to create a macros as per the instructions on that page yet.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I am not using Tag Manger so not sure how the Macro functions at all, if I were to install it I would have to use the steps outlined in the section titled "What do you mean you don’t use Google Tag Manager?!"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
LOL, thanks. It's too late in the day for me so excuse the dimwits! Thanks for help.