Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Drop in visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Since 18th september there is a huge drop in direct traffic to my websites. Before that date real time logs where above 100 but since then is down about 25% - most of drops coming from direct traffic reports/

Does anyone know if Google changed algorithms or introduced some new parameters for crawling sites?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Drop in visitors

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Andoni
That doesn't seem all that unusual to me.

Check your intelligence reports, it will give you some useful data to diagnose this. Also check search console and ask over on the webmaster central community to see if anything has changed.

As far as I can see, nothing has changed in how Google measures direct visits.

Finally, you might also want to check that what you were receiving before was not spam referrals that have simply stopped.

It's up to you to use the data that GA provides to diagnose your traffic increases/decreases. That's the point of GA Smiley Happy 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andoni L
November 2015

Re: Drop in visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave

Thanks for your tips. Unfortunately I have checked both (intelligence reports and console) but I can't find any alert in there.

I have other reports showing unusual drops (Search and homepage pageviews in content grouping) and I wonder if this has any relation with the direct trafic drops or should be treated separately.

Nevermind, I'll keep investigating.

Cheers