Analytics
3.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Drop in Real-Time traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Today we experienced a quite sudden drop in traffic. Our website was behaving normally, there were no errors on the network, and all usual referrers (social etc) seemed online and indeed providing incoming traffic.

Still, it was, looking at Real-Time, noticeably quiet. I tried checking everything, but currents stats are hard to compare to historic data. Fearing that I would now only learn of some penalties only in a day or two, analyzing more traffic, after two hours it suddenly went up again. 

I had refreshed my window several times before, but now traffic in R-T was suddenly doubled and back to a level that was to be expected. Am I missing anything? It's not only me, but co-workers at other locations experienced the same thing with this site. And also seeing traffic suddenly bounce back again. Not slowly pick up, but really bounce back to a normal level.

I know hourly figures can lag behind, but I've never seen something like this before. 

Looking at hourly stats at this point in time, there was never a drop to begin with...

Now, as to the cause...   ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Drop in Real-Time traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Gyurka this is hard to explain without seeing the actual real time numbers, but in the past I have done some inadvertent drill down in real time and thought that the site was some how unavailable to the general public. When I calmed down and took a hard look I had accidently filtered to only traffic coming from Europe and the Middle East, in other words I had excluded the USA. Now that does not explain your co-workers seeing the same thing but if it happens again make sure you have not accidently clicked on a filter.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just wanted to add we saw the same thing yesterday. Normally we have around 30 to 50 active users, suddenly it was only 6 or so. Apache logs did show normal traffic at the time.

Today it has been hovering between 20 and 30 ish, could be just a [censored]ty traffic day but feels suspect.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Start looking for patterns does this seem to happen around the same time of the day, start tracking the data and see if you can come up with a pattern. Look at where your traffic is coming from geographically track if they are organic, direct, or referrals, and any other data that may help you assertain a pattern. If you see that for instance traffic from the USA is very low or if all of your current traffic is only from direct then you can start to keep an eye on those areas inside of GA, if it is happening at a certain time period you can check with IT to determine if it is something they might be doing or has recently scheduled to occure during that time frame.