Analytics
4.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Drop by 65% for searches for my business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi
Not sure what is causing the disruption but our business page and our site have taken a significant hit to our traffic this month.  Our Google+ My Business Page has had a drop of 65% in searches and our site traffic fell by 20%.  We have not done anything different on our site or on our Google+ My Business Page so we are not sure how to fix things.  
Please help before we disappear.

Thank you

O

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Drop by 65% for searches for my business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Olivia B,

The first thing I would do is to use Google Tag Assistant to make sure the tracking code is working correctly. If you find that it is and your website is simply not performing well, you must make changes to it to regain traffic. 

Once a small business creates a website, they must work on making that website a great user experience for visitors. How do they do that? They provide a well-structured website with relevant content presented on a fast-loading and mobile-responsive, modern website. It also must not have errors or issues that harm a visitor or that prevents Google from crawling your website. The website must be updated continually (weekly, few times a month, routinely) so that the website is fresh and current.

Use the Google Gybo tool to see how you are listed online. Do a Google search for your web address (http://www.example.com) and see what shows up. Do the another search for your business name (not the website) and see what shows up.

You should also be using Google Analytics and Google Search Console to better understand what is happening with your website. 

Once Google Search Console is reviewed, let's check up on your site speed, mobile-friendliness and some SEO (search engine optimization) stuff. Search Console will also show you error pages. Any of those should have 301 redirects set up for them. You can check this info as often as you like. I make the rounds with these weekly or multiple times weekly for my clients.   

1) Visit Google Search Console.

2) Use the Google Developers Speed Test and work on fixing the issues so that your score is 89 or higher for both mobile & desktop.

3) Rerun the Google Speed Test but use this tool instead. Make sure you have a mobile score of 100.

4) Run your site through this SEO score checker.

5) Visit Google Analytics and setup your website.

Utilize the steps as they are outlined. Visit #1 and dig into your website actions with Google. Use #2 to bring your score up and get any optimized content to download & use. Complete everything and then go to #3. Complete everything and go to step #4. Now go to step #5 and dig into what is actually happening with visitors and your website.

From here, you need to have a strong and consistent social presence that is updated with content related to your products & services. And you need to utilize a local online presence by being listed on local directories (YP, BBB, etc.). And all of your online information needs to be consistent and correct. Make sure you link your website with your Google My Business (G+) page. 

All of this will be a continual process of repeating the above steps 2-3 times per month for the life of your business.  

Please let us know what you discover and enjoy the process.

King Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James
Thanks for all the info.  But the 65% drop is on our google+ "my business location page". We have Google analytics on both our website and "my google+ business page" and we are just watching the search numbers fall.  Our website has been active for 6 years and we have never seen anything like
this.  Can you help us understand why our Google+ "my business page" is disappearing from searches?
Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

insights.jpg

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You are very welcome. The info I provided will have the clues to solving the puzzle.

Further, have you changed posting habits or style with your G+ page? Typically, do you have seasonal changes or compared stats with previous year?

Kind Regards,

James