Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Dramatic Boost of Traffic, Analytics Showing Source as Hootsuite?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys, 

Yesterday I had a dramatic increase in traffic, 566% increase to be precise. In analytics it says the source is hootsuite, but after checking it out I see that it's a social media management system, so I don't get how traffic is coming from that? 

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Lewis 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dramatic Boost of Traffic, Analytics Showing Source as Hootsuite?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lewis,
Hootsuite is a social platform that allows people to manage all their social accounts in one interface. The traffic source is likely someone using one of their URL shortners. Have a look at what page it was sending traffic to. Search on the various social platforms for mentions of the article or post that was linked.

It sounds to me that some social influencer tweeted or posted about you somewhere and you're seeing the results as coming from the platform they sent it from. Either that or it's spam which is unlikely as spammers don't usually spam analytics accounts with legitimate websites.

Ultimately, you need to dig deeper into your analytics and content reports. That's exactly what GA is for. It's not just a hit counter Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I actually done that before posting the message, it's all leading to the same page and as you said with the social platforms, there are a ton more tweets from people linking to the page, but still nothing from the actual person/site that has boosted the traffic. I've even searched for the page & keywords from the page on Google with only posts showing from the last 24 hours and still nothing.

The mystery continues.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Lewis.
I feel your pain. Unfortunately, this isn't a problem with GA. It's a problem with the social networks themselves. Unless they have a partnership/agreement with Google to share data (in which case, some pretty decent data comes up in the social reports), Google can't do much. Facebook in particular is quite frustrating as its a large property and there's pretty much zero visibility into where the traffic is coming from there. Could be a post, an ad, a group, a photo. No way to tell unless you are the one that posts it and you tag the link. Clearly this isn't the case here.

There are some specific social search tools ranging from free to paid.

As privacy becomes more fashionable, expect to see more of this in the future. A lot of forum software has even stopped passing referrer information and SSL is causing a lot of that to happen inadvertently too.

Sorry that's not the answer you're looking for.