Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Double sessions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I found a issue that is explained in many documents in Google Help but I still cannot understand what I have to fix in order to resolve it. I will appreciate if somebody can give me a clue where to look and what to change. The problem consist in the fact that when I visit some of my pages Google Analytics is counting it with double sessions. Even the Google Analytics Notification has shown me what to look:

"Property Nyvinhus is receiving data from redundant hostnames. Some of the redundant hostnames are:

Redundant hostnames are counted as separate rows in reports, so hits that are going to the same page on your site from different hostnames will be split into multiple rows. With data split across multiple rows, traffic to specific pages will appear lower than it actually is.

To avoid this problem, consider setting up a 301 redirect from one of your redundant hostnames to the other, or create a search-and-replace filter that strips "www." from hostnames."

My confusion comes even bigger when I found that this "double sessions" doesn't occur in all of my pages. 

Double sessions.jpg

So I really hope that somebody can help me with this.

When I look into the URL it seems that they do not have different hostnames:

Double sessions_2.jpg
Thank you in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Даниел Б
May 2016

Re: Double sessions

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Даниел Б,

Google Analytics is not duplicating your visits but splitting them in WWW and non-www. A visit to nyvinhus.dk will be considered a different page than a visit to www.nyvinhus.dk

I really recommend you to redirect to only one, this is not only helpful to keep your analytics integrity but also helps search engines to crawl your site more efficiently.

If you can't make the redirection for any reason you can create a filter in the meantime to strip or add the www to all pages.

Here you can find all the possible solutions for the redundant hostname issue.
https://www.ohow.co/fix-redundant-hostnames-notification-in-google-analytics/

As for the message "...property ID is tracked twice" this is a different issue this probably means that your code is inserted twice.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Даниел Б
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Даниел Б,

Google Analytics is not duplicating your visits but splitting them in WWW and non-www. A visit to nyvinhus.dk will be considered a different page than a visit to www.nyvinhus.dk

I really recommend you to redirect to only one, this is not only helpful to keep your analytics integrity but also helps search engines to crawl your site more efficiently.

If you can't make the redirection for any reason you can create a filter in the meantime to strip or add the www to all pages.

Here you can find all the possible solutions for the redundant hostname issue.
https://www.ohow.co/fix-redundant-hostnames-notification-in-google-analytics/

As for the message "...property ID is tracked twice" this is a different issue this probably means that your code is inserted twice.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Carlos !

I did your recommendations about to redirect the page from www to non www. I hope that will resolve my problem. In fact this happen only when I am adding something into my cart.

Regarding with the another issue with the "property ID is tracked twice" is very strange. I am using Google Tag Manager and it is added just once. And then by the Tag Manager I added my Google Analytic. SO that is why I am wondering how can I find where is added twice the tracking code.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

It seems that you fixed the code issue too, checked your site with the tag assistant, and it looks fine now,

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately I didn't. I still have the same problem. It occurs when you add something into the cart. Then appears again this notification:

"Same web property ID is tracked twice."

1.jpg2.jpg

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, now it is solved. I removed all tags that I have installed. And I Published this changes with the Tag Manager. Now when install new tags I will watch carefully if they are not producing double tracking.

Thank you for your assistance!