Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Domain and subdomain traffic and bounce rate issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Google experts,
Last year we moved the digital edition version of our magazine on a subdomain since it has a slight different look. With that change, all the traffic from the subdomain is now recorded as referral traffic, instead of direct traffic and our overall website bounce rate went up. Our visitors would go to the current issue page of the magazine, might read the web articles and then click on the Digital edition. Every time they click on the digital edition (going to the subdomain) it will record as bounce. How can i tell GA that visitors are not bouncing out when clicking on the subdomain? It's the same site, same analytics ID. Also, how do i tell GA that the traffic to the subdomain should be in the direct traffic category, not referring?
Thank you.

Cami Clarke

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Domain and subdomain traffic and bounce rate issues

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Cami,

Sounds like you're having an issue with Self Referrals.

How have you implemented your tracking code? If it was using GTM (Google Tag Manager) make sure you've set the "cookieDomain" field to auto as shown below:

Capture.PNG

If you just pasted the tracking snippet in your code, check that has:

ga('create', 'UA-your tracking number', 'auto'); 

Finally, in you Google Analytics Admin (Property > Tracking Info > Referral Exclusion List) make sure that your top level domain is listed. If not, add it using the "+Add Referral Exclusion".

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

JD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I use the tracking snippet code and i checked it and it is correct - like the one you suggested. I added the domain to the Exclusion list but i don't see any difference in the reports. Is it going to show going forward? Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Cami,

Correct. Changes made in the Admin are only applied moving forward.