Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Does Open New Tab Measured as New Session

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I wonder if you could help us with this. My company's site - tinggal.com - everytime you select the hotel,  the browser will automatically open the new tab. I run facebook ads and google adwords campaign to bring more traffics. And I see from analytics, there are so many traffics coming from direct.

The question is: Does open new tab make the sessions become new session? For example if  they are coming from adwords ads and then browse something on the website and the browser automatically open the new tab to see the product detail, does the source will be changed from Social to Direct?

Because our website is still new and I have doubt there are so many people coming from direct. And we dont have so much budget to run the awareness campaign

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 12.21.28 PM.png

Kindly need your help regarding this Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for all your help

Cheers,

Vinny

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marketing T
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Vinny

No, opening new tab usually does not initiates new session. You could double check this with "behaviour > all pages" report filtered with hotels url pattern and combined with "previous page path" secondary dimesion

Re: Does Open New Tab Measured as New Session

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Дмитро Б,

Thanks for your information Smiley Happy

I have tried it

And this is the report that you want me to see right?

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 4.36.48 PM.png

What is the entrance mean then? What's the difference between entrance and /college140.html?

Sorry for asking you more question

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Vinny

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Vinny,

(entrance) mean that this particular page was the first in the session.

Previous path is equal to page path means that Google analytics recieved two 'pageview' hits in row, e.g. page was reloaded

Re: Does Open New Tab Measured as New Session

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, I see

Thanks for your explanation Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Vinny