Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Does Direct traffic refresh the campaign timeout period?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I was just wondering about the following scenario:

- I have GA set up to use a 30-day campaign timeout period

- A user visits on day 1 through a CPC campaign, and then every subsequent day via Direct

I understand the user's Direct sessions will be treated as part of the campaign within the timeout period, but does a Direct session start the campaign timeout period again - so even if they keep visiting Direct daily for 35 days, will they appear as part of the campaign on day 35?

Thanks for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Usually campaign timeout is 6mths.
If you have changed campaign timeout to 30 days and a user comes back as a direct visitor on day 35, then its attributed to direct (unless they comeback via say a bookmarked link that has campaign tagging parameters appended to it for example - which would restart the campaign period again )

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your answer - the bit I'm unsure about is if the user performs Direct visits following an Organic on day 1 within the campaign timeout period (say they perform a Direct visit on day 10 of a 30-day period), does the window start again (so they'll still be marked as Organic if they visit Direct again on day 35), or is the window expiry only updated for non-Direct visits?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
There is a handy process flow chart on this page that you should find helpful in answering your question
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl=en&ref_topic=1032998#flowchart

This info in the help docs is helpful too

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl=en&ref_topic=1032998#processing

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamie G
March

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been looking at that documentation quite a lot lately - it's been super useful for answering almost of my traffic source questions apart from this one! I ended up testing this myself by:

- Setting a test campaign's conversion window to 2 hours

- 12:00: On two different machines, perform an Organic visit - GA records these visits as Organic

- 13:05: perform a Direct visit on one machine - this shows as Organic, as expected

- 14:10: Visit on both machines again - Both sessions are recorded as Direct

So it looks like Direct visits within the campaign period don't extend the period at all. Makes sense, but I thought it best to check!

Thanks for your help!