Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Does Analytics Include Sessions from Under 18s?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, my client is a College and therefore they target 16-18 year olds, and their families when enrolling.

I understand that laws prevent Google from recording data from under 18s. However from what I can find online I believe it is only the demographic reports that exclude data from sessions from under 18s?

Am I right in thinking there is no way of knowing how old many users are, and therefore data for under 18s will be included in sessions, user, goal and event data etc etc?

How about users who Google does know to be under 18, is there data included in metrics and goals data etc?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris B,

There is no data (at all) for users under 18, so you will not be able to use, track or gather any data for them. It is a very touchy area with laws (such as COPPA). I wouldn't even try to, personally. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks get your response James.

My only query on this; if Google doesn't have the age of the user , then this data must still be included. Or do they somehow have age data on all users?

The responses I found elsewhere do not really ask this question and we're not so bothered about tracing data for under 18s but wondering if we are getting a real view of all our users.

Thanks

Chris

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris B,

You are welcome. 

I think with the huge issue with legalities of minors, Google and other tech companies (that are smart) simply will not discuss it and do not gather it for the purpose of distribution or external uses. Since Google can program their automation to focus on what it wants and needs, they are purposefully not collecting data metrics on the under 18 age group (for our uses).

With that said, Google, internet providers, etc.. do know the ages of their audience/users. They know a whole lot, but again, we are not going to. Knowing something and passing it on are two separate issues/concerns. For us consumers and advertisers, it's a moot point, in all respects. But yes, the Google AdWords and Analytics systems do know the age and their metrics are solid and credible. I say this as an agency owner with 25+ years in marketing (not speaking for Google).

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again James,

Just to be absolutely clear we don't wish to track under 18s(!)

However are you saying that Google knows the age of 100% of users tracked through Analytics? I can't see how this is possible. I thought the from graphics data was just an extrapolation from those users for whom it does know the age? 

Thanks

Chris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

Thank you. I would like to be sure. The users demo in GA are only 18+. The traffic generated by the lower ages is excluded and no user is included. Is this correct? I need this to compare site users with the general population of the market. Thank you very much,

Adrian

Re: Does Analytics Include Sessions from Under 18s?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

You are welcome and that is correct. Data is segmented by the following age groups: 

• 18-24
  • 25-34
  • 35-44
  • 45-54
  • 55-64
  • 65+

When measuring age: Acquisition, Behavior, and Conversions metrics broken down by age group. When you drill into an age group, you see the breakdown by gender, then by interest. Ages below 18 are not included in the data.

Kind Regards,

James