Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Distorting Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

since several months I can notice strange traffic on my site that distorts my reports. The traffic comes from one city only and occurs every single day. The special thing is that the avg. session duration is nearly 2 hours and around 20 pages are visited (which is complete abnormal and therefore influences my reports). Mostly news-articles are visited with different time on pages.

Has someone any idea how I can track down that traffic to see if it comes from some kind of bot or if there is actually someone looking at the pages every day (what I don't believe)? Moreover, can I somehow exclude that specific traffic without excluding the whole city?

Thank you in advance and best regards!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Distorting Traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Jason add a secondary dimension and see if the Hostname is your sites URL. Typically this will be the case. Again change your secondary dimension and see who the Full Referrer is.

With those three pieces of information you should be able to create a filter that would either give you additional details on the traffic or allow you to filter out the traffic. BTW if the Hostname is not your sites URL you really want to figure out what they are doing in which case you would want to create a segment so you can get a view of what they are looking at, what path they are taking and any and all other information you can gather. Chances are it will be your sites URL.

Your filter would then be either Include or Exclude where Hostname = XXXXX and Full Referrer = XXXXX that should isolate that traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,

thank you for your replay.

Unfortunately the hostname is the site's URL and the visitor accesses the site directly, therefore no referrer. However, they only look at news-article and no other content.

Any other ideas?

Thank you und best regards!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Can you filter out the traffic based upon City, Page and Page Depth. So that if they came from city x and Channel was Direct and they viewed Page x with a Page depth of 1 they would be excluded. The trick is to find uniqueness in the visits that allows you to exclude those from your total or only view those pages which ever the case may be.