Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Distinguishing app and web traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to google analytics and I've run into a snag. The system I'm working on is an app that is basically a mobile version of a website, and I want to be able to tell the two apart in google analytics. All traffic is showing up as "Desktop"

I'm using the measurement protocol on the app to send the data to the server. Data Source ("ds") is set to "app" so I'm not sure why it considers it "Desktop"

Also, maybe related, how can I get the google analytics real time reporting page to show me page views? It shows screen views and I can't see any way to change it (might be a dumb question but it's driving me nuts)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Understandable confusion...this may help:

- setting the ds to 'app' causes the hits to be seen as from an app and therefore are screen views. When creating a new property (tracking code), you choose Website or Mobile App -- I think that determines wether you see screenviews in the reports or pageviews.

- device type 'desktop' has nothing to do with the data source setting; it autodetects that from the user agent of the browser used

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, that helps. 

Right now I'm sending the request along as a pageview hit type, so I should change this to use screenview instead? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lyle R
May

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If the property type is website, which I believe it is since you described your app as a mobile version of a website, then leave it all as a website with pageviews. Screen views and apps are totally different animals and you lose a lot of information in the app reporting that you would get in the website reporting.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.