Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy in metrics between two views in GA

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a view in GA to collect data from a Website.

When we do marketing campaigns we duplicate this view to collect data through a Custom Dimension (Marketing campaign) that we use to group all pages and products included in this campaign.

The question is why we have different number of sessions for the same Landing Page depending on which view we are using to look at? If we use the general view and we filter the page using the CD for this specific campaign we get different numbers that if we go to the view created using the CD and looking at the same page.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi David,

There could be many reasons.  I would look at the filters in both views and also whether there are differences in Admin>>Vies>Settings.  Query params or "Exclude known bots.." could be handled differently.  Lastly, you may be hitting sampling when you add a secondary dimension. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Many thanks for your answer. Really appreciate it.

But in this case I'm affraid it's not the reason because we keep a 'model template' that we use to replicate all the new view we have and all new campaigns are under the same excluding-criteria regarding URL parameters.

However that's a really good point so I'll have a look carefully and I'll double chek all the view settings again just in case we have some differences on there.

Thanks