Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy in Sessions appearing in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using external reporting and google analytics reporting to track activity related to email campaigns.  Each campaign has a landing page that I can follow.  The external tracking is coming from the vendor sending out the email blasts.  The number of sessions shown in GA is far lower than the number of times the vendor is telling me my ad was clicked on, sending the person to the landing page.  Assuming every click actually makes it to the landing page, each click should be a session.  I can't figure out why the number of clicks is so much higher than the number of sessions by GA.  Can anyone help with this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancy in Sessions appearing in Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
There are lots of reasons why GA would not see the clicks, including honoring of the do-not-track options available in many browsers now.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If GA does not see the click does it still count the website visit? I'm having a similar problem with another advertising vendor/ad-server. The clicks shown are much higher than what GA counts, but it is also higher than total sessions.

Thanks for the help.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If GA doesn't see the 'click', there is no session.

This may help to answer your remaining questions:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

scroll down to the section titled 'Discrepancies in Clicks and Sessions'
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.