Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy in Sessions appearing in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I hope I'm posting in thie right place, because I've already got this wrong once - very new to these forums!! I recently started using Google's URL builder to track campaigns in Analytics, however I've hung onto a company policy code of incorporating 'origin codes' in our URLs (and including this in the URL builder) so we can track users internally for a different purpose. Recently when reporting via Analytics I've noticed a huge difference in the number of sessions reported through Behavior --> Site Content --> Landing Pages and Acquisition --> All Traffic --> Source/Medium. They seem to be picking up the same campaigns but referring session counts differently. I'm relatively new to this - am I missing something obvious? Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancy in Sessions appearing in Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

how are you checking referring sessions in your Landing Page report?

Does all other mediums sessions match?
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Antti,

I'm checking referring sessions in the Landing Page report by the trackable url that I've included. The trackable url is by definition the landing page.

When I compare session counts by medium in in both Source / Medium and the Landing Page report they match.

I've created a campaign directing users to a specific page. I've set up a GA campaign to direct users from an ad to a specific page on my site. When I compare the count of sessions for that campaign in the campaign report (in Acquisition - campaigns - all campaigns) with the count of sessions in the landing page report specific to that campaign, the count is different. I'm only seeing 25% of the sessions in the campaign report compared to the number I'm seeing in the landing page report.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
First thing you should do is check to see if the data is being sampled

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, yes I'm aware of the data being sampled and am taking that into account, but the discrepancy is still present.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
if you know that your data is being sampled please shorten the time so that note about sampling disappears.

so if you take the sessions in campaign report what does it show if you click the campaign name and select landing page as secondary dimensions vs. landing page report where campaign as secondary dimension ( filtering so that only the one campaign is showing)?
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.