Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy in Sessions and Users for Converters and Non Converters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A little background :

I modified Avinah Kaushiks' Non Flirts segment to see how visitors viewing more than 3 pages were doing. What I found was that all those who came from cpc channels and viewed more than 3 pages - converted. I wrote about this here.

I wanted to find out details for those who viewed 2 pages or less and hence i created this segment - Page Depth 2 or less with Google/CPC (Sessions)

If we look at the image above, Sessions and Users for - AK: Non-Flirts, Potential Lovers (Page Depth 3 or more) (Google/CPC) - is much less than for - Page Depth 2 or less with Google/CPC (Sessions). 

Why is this? I thought it would be reverse, since sessions and users for those who converted would be more? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancy in Sessions and Users for Converters and Non Converter

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Trudy,

I'm not sure why you would expect to see more people convert rather than not. That is, for your page depth of two or less for Google CPC segment; I would expect to see more of these non-converting visitors than the ones that actually buy something or look at more pages. Every site is different but typically I would expect to see that most people do not enter the funnel and convert and that most CPC visitors would have a page depth less than 3. Also for most converters, I would expect them to see a larger page depth just due to most checkout/ form flow processes. The real question is what were the keywords and landing pages that were successful and what did those converters see that influenced them to convert and buy. I may spend more time looking at those dimensions and also what their onsite experience (exposure to offers , etc) compare that to non converters to hypothesize on what changes to marketing/merchandising could be made to influence buyers. Enhanced Ecommerce (for ecommerce sites) could be a big win here.

I'm not sure if that helps at all, but just wanted to offer another perspective, or maybe I just did not understand your query. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Discrepancy in Sessions and Users for Converters and Non Converter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theo - definitely look into what you have said! Smiley Happy