Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy in Goal Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have both destination and event goals set up on my site.

I created custom reports to track the same events/pageviews as the goals, and I got very different numbers. 

My custom reports are always showing a lot more page views/events as how many goal conversions I have in the goal reports. 

I thought that the reason might be that if there are more events from the same type in a session, then it is going to be calculated as one conversion. However, when I look at the unique page views/events in my custom report, the number is still higher than my goal conversion. 

What do you think?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancy in Goal Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Gabriella,

Google Analytics won't count repeat goal conversions per session. So if a user visits a goal destination page 5 times in a session, only the unique pageview will be counted as the goal completion. Same goes for the event based goals, the event will be counted as many times as it occurs in a session but only one goal completion will be recorded. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Discrepancy in Goal Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the reply, I was considering this solution as well.
However, the goal completions' number is still a lot lower than the unique events' and page views' number.
Thus, it seems that some unique events didn't get registered as goals either.