Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy in Goal Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have both destination and event goals set up on my site.

I created custom reports to track the same events/pageviews as the goals, and I got very different numbers. 

My custom reports are always showing a lot more page views/events as how many goal conversions I have in the goal reports. 

I thought that the reason might be that if there are more events from the same type in a session, then it is going to be calculated as one conversion. However, when I look at the unique page views/events in my custom report, the number is still higher than my goal conversion. 

What do you think?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Discrepancy in Goal Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Gabriella,

Google Analytics won't count repeat goal conversions per session. So if a user visits a goal destination page 5 times in a session, only the unique pageview will be counted as the goal completion. Same goes for the event based goals, the event will be counted as many times as it occurs in a session but only one goal completion will be recorded. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Discrepancy in Goal Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the reply, I was considering this solution as well.
However, the goal completions' number is still a lot lower than the unique events' and page views' number.
Thus, it seems that some unique events didn't get registered as goals either.