Analytics
3.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy between Drop-off Rate and Bounce Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have been researching for a couple of hours now and I just can't seem to get to the bottom of this.

My bounce rate is 61%

My drop-off rate for the starting pages is 68%

Please note: I do not have event tracking on the website

Thanking you in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Mia its been awhile since I was actually inside of GA looking at any data I now pull everything back and work with it on my server. But If I remeber correctly the bounce rate is determined from the landing page not the start page and the Behavior Flow report is broken down into different page groupings and shows where each drop off occured Landing Page to Starting Page, Starting Page to First Interaction, First Interaction to Second Interaction and so on. In both cases the data can be sampled but I also believe different formulas are applied to each so you are trying to compare apples to organes.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Bounce rate is single page visits i.e. you see one page and leave.

Drop off rate describes when visitors leave the site - some of these visitors will have viewed more than one page before they leave from the page you are viewing in the report, hence the difference. 

Some references:

http://www.rankraiser.com/rankraiser/difference-between-google-bounce-rate-and-drop-offs/

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.