Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Discrepancy Users vs Users broken down

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

There seems to be a data discrepancy in our Google Analytics for Users, and Users broken down by Source in a custom report for the month of June. We break down our users by 2 sources: Sales and Aftersales.

The total in Analytics for both sources is showing 273, with Sales 182 and Aftersales 92 (sum should be 274). 

The same happens for the breakdown of the individual sources by brand. Aftersales total as above is 92, with the breakdown by brand adding up to 95. The percentages next to the numbers per brand do add up to 100%.

For Sales this is the total of 182 with the breakdown adding up to 183.

The totals of all Users by brand should technically add up to 278 (183 + 95) - but to refer back to the first line, the total is showing 273 and the sum of the 2 sources is 274. That's three different totals that I can't explain.

The way I understand it, the total users could be lower as someone could have come in through 2 different sources - which is okay, it could be that someone went through Sales and Aftersales in one month. However, it doesn't make sense in the breakdown by brand, that someone would have come in for more than one brand.

Any help/explanation on this issue would be much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

This is because a single user can visit your site through different sources in a given date range, hence the duplication. The same is true for any dimension that may change value with each session.

With the help of a segment to narrow down traffic to the dimensions you're focusing on, check the User Explorer report to see the Users/Client IDs associated with the traffic.

Hope this helps. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply.

This makes sense for the Total, as someone might come in through Sales and Aftersales in the same month, but as I explained above, it is pretty much impossible for someone to come in through more than one different Aftersales source (as it's car sales, it's highly unlikely for someone to buy more than one car in a month).

As for the User Explorer report, could you tell me what exactly I am looking for in there? I am only moderately experienced with Analytics - just asked to fix this for a client.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

A question at this point - how do you identify brand? This is where the problem lies, isn't it? When you split aftersales source by brand. 

A client ID value in User Explorer identifies a user - it's basically the cookie value associated with a given user who visits your site. You can make use of a segment with the dimension values you mentioned above and see users associated with them. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Brand = Medium (secondary dimension), so it's fairly easily identified. Any user gets an email with a link in it, which is how we track. E.g. user receives an email Sales Jaguar, clicks on the link in the email, and this click should go towards our "Emails Opened" report, source "Sales" and Medium "Jaguar" (so no matter which report / breakdown / dimension I look at, it should give me 1).

This same user could go through Aftersales as well within the same month, so the Emails Opened total could be 1 with Sales 1 and Aftersales 1, but as I said it's highly unlikely for him to receive another Sales or Aftersales email. Hope this makes sense.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Could the same user receive emails from different brands, or for the sake of precision, with different medium values e.g. Jaguar, Bentley etc? If so, this same user will have multiple sessions, each related to a medium value.

The combination of medium and source is associated with a single session.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

I must rephrase the last paragraph as the unique combination of utm_medium, utm_source, utm_campaign, utm_content and utm_term values is associated with a single session.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Technically they shouldn't, unless they're actually buying multiple cars. For the Source it could happen (S & AS), but Medium is very unlikely.

Also, if the difference in total is +1, am I right assuming that the +3 difference in Aftersales would mean that this is actually one person for 3 different mediums? 

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Yes, it probably would.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would you have any other things that I could check to see why it is showing up like this?